Monday, July 7, 2008

The End of the Road

As I have previously stated, I was reluctant to read anything that Cormac McCarthy penned after my torturous experience with All of the Pretty Horses. However, I found The Road compelling. I was shocked that at times I couldn't put it down. The story is probably one of the most depressing I have ever read and I don't think that I am spoiling anything by saying that. So please keep reading this blog :)

However, the writing is extraordinary. I truly cared about the characters and although, at times, it seems like nothing is happening I kept turning the pages. With that said, I do feel that there are times in the story that McCarthy relies too heavily on plot devices, events seem a bit too convenient. I think the last 2 pages are a fine example of that. I don't want to give too much away about the ending so I won't go into anymore detail but when you read it you will see what I mean.

I would like to challenge all of the reviews that I have read about the book in the end being uplifting or redeeming, so listen up all of you Amazon reviewers. I don't feel it, I am not and was not uplifted. In fact, I think I will have to read 3 or 4 pink Young Adult novels just to counteract the effect of The Road.

Overall though, I give it 4 out of 5 stars. It just goes to prove if you can write, it can make up for the plot :)

Jen, your thoughts?

1 comment:

Jen said...

Maybe instead of calling me to discuss, you should write your updated thoughts. You know "Gee, sister, after reading your review, I have come around to your way of thinking."

Muah ah ah. I knew it would just be a matter of time.